DO YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA EFFORTS FIT YOUR BRAND?
When deciding which social media platforms to invest in for the biggest impact for your business, there are many factors to consider. You’ll want to make sure that the platforms you choose are capable of supporting content that will help to strengthen your brand identity. You should also research the demographics of each social media site to ensure that your intended audience is represented there. Here are some quick insights into the top 6 social media platforms to help you narrow your search.
Pinterest is an idea and inspiration sharing social platform. It is vastly different from the other platforms on this list as it used primarily for suggestions of products and ideas to try, making it a perfect resource for B2C marketers.
- 250 million monthly users
- 81% female users
- Majority of users are younger than 40
- Millennials use Pinterest as much as Instagram
LinkedIn is the professional’s social media network. It helps individuals to curate and portray their personal brand and career passions. It also allows businesses to establish their expertise and authority. LinkedIn is an excellent option for B2B marketers, as their efforts will reach those in decision-making positions at other businesses.
- 294 million monthly users
- 56% male users
- 40 million users are in decision-making positions
- 13% of millennials use Linked In
Twitter emphasizes real-time events; making it an excellent source for news of all kinds. Politics, world events, sports, and entertainment headlines are the perfect content for this platform. Twitter is also a great tool for customer service, as many customer service requests surface here.
- 335 million monthly users
- 46% of users are on the platform daily
- 37% of users are between the ages of 18 and 29, 25% are 30-49
- 80% of users access the platform on a mobile device
Instagram is a photo and video sharing platform. They have expanded their platform to include Instagram Stories, live video, and IGTV—for longer form video content. Instagram Business Profiles offer in-depth analytics and allow you to schedule content through 3rd party applications.
- 1 billion monthly users
- 68% female users
- 59% of internet users between 18 and 29 have Instagram accounts
- 72% of teens use Instagram
YouTube is a video sharing site. YouTube videos can be shared through most other platforms as well. 1 billion hours of YouTube videos are watched daily. Not only is YouTube one of the biggest social media platforms, but because it is powered by Google it has high search engine potential. If your business is active on YouTube, consider utilizing SEO techniques to grow your influence.
- 9 billion monthly users
- 63% male users
- Millennials prefer YouTube over traditional television
- 35+ and 55+ age groups are the fastest-growing YouTube demographics
Facebook is the most user-friendly platform as it supports most content types. 65 million businesses and 6 million advertisers are active on Facebook. The latest Facebook algorithm favors content that encourages interaction or discussion between users, so crafting your messaging carefully will help you make the most impact.
- 23 billion monthly users
- 53% female users
- 93% of marketers use Facebook advertising regularly
- 5 billion comments are left of Facebook pages monthly
Before establishing your social media marketing strategy, make sure your business is a good fit for the platforms you are investing time, money, and content in. If you need help establishing a cohesive plan click here.